It’s important to take the time to make a list of questions to ask all
contractors that you’re considering hiring for your home remodeling or
Depending upon the scope and size of your project, choose the questions that are relevant and important to you in order to make an informed decision. Remember, you’re the boss and your goal is to find the best match and candidate for your remodeling or building project.
The following should be part of your research and questions you must ask of
your contractors no matter the size of your project. This is not a complete
list but it does contain important queries that will help you make an
informed decision that most folks don’t ask.
1. How often do you communicate with your customers as the job is progressing?
2. Do they have experience with jobs such as yours, and can they provide you with a list of references of those jobs?
3. Do they carry Workman’s Compensation Insurance (required by the majority of States if they have employees) and what type of liability insurance do they have for themselves? Ask for copies of their insurance coverage to verify. This is important; don’t let your Homeowners Insurance become their claim for coverage.
4. Do they have their own crew for some of the work, or do they rely solely on a stable of subcontractors?
5. How many other jobs will they be working on simultaneously with yours, and how available will their various subcontractors be?
6. How many jobs do you currently have going? How many workers are used to manage those jobs? Ask for the addresses to make sure it’s their work.
7. Will they (the General Contractor) be working or supervising? If supervising, how much time will they be on-site each day?
8. Describe your approach to problem solving and re solving complaints regarding workers, materials, workmanship as well as any complaints with the homeowner.
9. Have they ever had disciplinary action filed against them by any state or local agency or any civil action by a homeowner? Why and how was it resolved? (You’ll verify all this)
10. How much time will you spend on our job each week, either on site or in planning?
© 20110-2013 ContractorsFromHell.com